Sheriff: Deputies arrest serial firebug | Crime
The Richland County Sheriff’s Department arrested a man they say is responsible for setting multiple fires at several locations.
Deputies say 24-year-old Jonathan Brown is charged with five counts of arson, and one count of willfully burning lands of another.
The report said on Wednesday, Jan. 30, just after 6:00 p.m., Richland County Sheriff’s Investigators, City of Columbia Fire Department, along with the assistance of an alert vigilant citizen helped to capture Brown.
According to sheriff’s deputies, the citizen, who was also a victim, spotted Brown on Broad River and Beatty Roads and contacted law enforcement; Brown was arrested without incident.
When the County investigate fires that turn out to be suspicious in nature or arson, Richland County Sheriff’s Department, City of Columbia Fire Department, and the Richland County Fire Marshals Office work together to determine the cause and who may be responsible.
Sheriff Leon Lott stated that on six different occasions Brown willfully set fires to personal property of others:
· Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 4031 Broad River Road (Kestner Automotive) at 2:30 AM, Brown set fire to a gold, four door, 2000 Lincoln Ls vehicle.
· Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 4031 Broad River Road (Kestner Automotive) at just after 11:00 PM Brown set fire to a burgundy Chrysler, and a gold Chrysler van.
· Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 1026 Beatty Road at 10:30 AM Brown set fire to the residence and attempted to burn another in the same area. Richland County Sheriff’s Department Investigators located a 5-gallon can of used oil stuffed with pine straw at the location.
· Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 1011 Beatty Road (Carrington Place Apartments) at 5: 45 PM, Brown set fire to three separate areas in the woods adjacent to the apartment complex.
· Monday, January 28, 2013 at 4031 Broad River Road (Kestner Automotive) at 9:30 PM Brown set fire to two vehicles, a four door red Chrysler, and a gold Chrysler minivan.
· Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 3827 Broad River Road (Taste of the South) at 2:00 PM, Brown attempted to set fire to a chair with a lighter.
Brown was transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WIS porn investigation gets county administrator probation, pay cut
- Boil water advisory issued for the Town of Ridgeway
- Legendary Speakers to Present at Fairfield County Historical Society Annual Meeting
- The Lumber River Quartet To Sing At Lake Wateree Baptist Church On April 28
- Cop who shot wife while on duty sentenced to 17 years in prison